While the United Kingdom was originally scheduled to leave the European Union on the 31st of October 2019, the European Union granted a three-month delay to the UK’s departure.
With the agreement allowing the UK an extension to leave before January 31, 2020, a lot of questions remain about the legal status of Europeans living in the UK. Due to this uncertainty, applying for UK’s “settled” status has become a critical concern for Europeans living in the UK.
To assist you and your employees, Altair has compiled the UK government’s advice to guide you through the application process.
Do I need to apply to gain “settled” status in the UK?
You will need to apply to gain “settled” or “pre-settled” status if you, or a family member within your household, are an European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), or Swiss citizen. To obtain status to the EU Settlement Scheme, apply here.
What if I am not an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen?
You may be able to apply for status if:
- You are a family member of an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen.
- You are the family member of a British citizen, and you lived outside the UK in an EEA country together.
- You are the family member of a British citizen, who also has EU, EEA, or Swiss citizenship, and who has lived in the UK as an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen before getting British citizenship.
- You once had an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen family member living in the UK.
- You are the primary carer of a British, EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen.
- You are the child of an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen, who used to live and work in the UK, or the child’s primary carer.
If the above applies, you must contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre.
- Inside the UK: 0300 123 7379.
- Outside the UK: +44 203 080 0010.
What will I need to provide as an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen to apply?
- An email address and phone number.
- Your current passport or national identity card (if you are an EEA or Swiss national).
- Your current passport or UK residence card, with a biometric chip (if you are not an EEA or Swiss national).
Where do I go to apply for settlement?
- If you have permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain, click here.
- If you’re applying for your child, click here.
- If you stopped working or started work in another EU country, click here.
How do I learn more about settlement status?
To learn more about your rights and the differences between “settled” and “pre-settled” status, go here.
Contact your Altair Global Client Services or Business Development representative to find out more about Altair Global’s XM Transformation.